Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Limb wedges

Limb wedges are sandwiched in between the limb laminations and add thickness at the fades. This part will be the least flexible part of the limb. My Bingham's plans call for an 8 1/4" wedge. Mine will be made out of purple heart to match the rest of the bow.

I at first planned on making a jig for this until I ran across an excellent post by Sixby on the Pirates of Archery web site. His method for making wedges calls for cutting a 10" piece of stock diaganally with 5/8" on the thickest side and 1/16" on the thinnest.

So here (kinda hard to see) I marked 5/8" on each side. One side from the bottom and on the opposite side from the top, and drew a fine line with a small sharpie (As Sixby so aptly recomended) and took it to the band saw.



Slowly and carefully I cut on the line that was drawn and ended up with a pair of rough wedges.



Now we take these two wedges and put them back together but this time we do it with the newly cut surfaces on the outside so we can sand them. A drop of super glue in the middle will hold them together and I clamp it for a couple minutes to let it set.



I then run the whole thing through the sander to get all the saw marks smooth and that thin, 1/16" side will get down to a nice feathered edge. After that pop the two wedges apart using a twisting motion and your ready for sanding the individual wedges. Sixby makes some nice take downs and like his wedges to have a flat section that his limb bolts can sit flush against. Since he's the expert and I know snot about making bows, that's what I'm gonna do. (So there!)



Run them through until you get your desired thickness and a flat spot of a couple inches. Not having the complete build instructions I'm not sure how thick it's supposed to be. I think it's 3/8" and in Sixby's tutorial they were .250 I think. I kind of shot for the middle and ended up with .310 or so. Hey I'm improvising give me a brake.



Next I cut them to length, 8 1/4" on the band saw.





And viola! wedges are done dude! Next up are tip wedges and then I think we're about ready for glue up.

No comments:

Post a Comment